Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Season I Come Alive

This is the time of year I come alive.  I’ve just emerged from a long summer’s hibernation with my fans, misting spray bottle, and window air conditioner to be greeted by my favorite time of year:  fall.

In September temperatures fall.  God’s majesty shows throughout the Pacific Northwest in glorious displays of autumn colors.  Everything pumpkin spice shows up along with soup season!  I love a good soup! 

Football season starts, bringing both the fun of watching the games on TV and the friendly (or not-so-friendly) competition between the Oregon Ducks and Oregon State Beavers.  

Mt. Angel Oktoberfest takes place with the sounds, sights, and smells of my childhood tantalizing my senses for four wonderful days.

Things take a more academic tone as students head back to school and relaxed summer schedules happily turn into rhythms and routines.


Stores begin to hint (or scream) toward the holidays, just around the corner, while my planning notebook turns to scheduling family events and creating budgets for my favorite people’s wish lists along with special ideas for celebrating my anniversary.

After more than six months, community-wide bible studies commence, bringing in-depth study of the Word, fellowship with groups of amazing women, and a feeling that I’m right where God has called me to be.

And so I awaken, much more quickly than a grizzly bear, as I anticipate all the amazing things God does in this season that seems to represent both change and consistency simultaneously.  As I observe and join in my favorite four months of the year I see God more clearly, realizing that fall is the perfect representation of the dance of life between God and I:  He is the epitome of a perfect dancer with flawless steps and I begin the dance by stepping on His shoes.  The longer we dance, the more I change and grow closer to Him


He and I are autumn…consistency and change…as I dance into my favorite season of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! Love this so much!! It was so nice meeting you at LIT! Love Jesus in you! <3 Can't wait to see what Jesus will do in and through you! God Bless! <3

    ReplyDelete